How did I not try coconut butter until today?! Coconut is literally one of my favorite things EVER so it blows my mind that I waited so long to buy my first jar of coconut butter. So for the next several days you can find me with my spoon in the jar 🙂
Ok enough of that…Onto this recipe, which is one of my favorite things I have made lately! The great thing about this recipe is that it is lower carb than other energy bites because I did not put oats into it. Due to the way I eat (high protein/fat for breakfast and lunch, then I introduce carbs several hours before I work out, which is always a lower fat meal) I am constantly looking for high fat snacks that are low in carbs, especially for rest days. There is a whole science behind this that is worthy of a separate blog post so let me know if that is something you would be interested in reading!
Ok onto the recipe!
What you need:
- 2 C shredded carrots
- 1/2 C roughly chopped pecans
- 1/2 C macadamia nuts
- 5 T coconut butter
- 1 T unsweetened shredded coconut (plus more for garnish)
- 1 T chopped ginger
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- Sea salt (to taste)
What to do:
- Pulse carrots in a food processor to a coarse texture (see picture below). Add to large mixing bowl
- Pulse macadamia nuts in food processor until they are roughly chopped (you want to pulse until there are no big chunks). Add to mixing bowl.
- Pulse the ginger and turmeric in food processor and add to mixing bowl.
- Roughly chop the pecans by hand, these will give the bites a nice texture, add to mixing bowl.
- Add coconut butter. (Tip: you will likely need to submerge your jar of coconut butter into hot water until the oil has melted and you can easily mix it).
- Add cinnamon and salt, stir well.
- Taste the mixture and add more salt as desired.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and top with additional shredded coconut.
- Store in the fridge or freezer to have on hand for a yummy treat!